Home Flipbooks Index of Barns Barns by Region Barns by Type Museums The Barn Story Books about barns
web counter

Court Lodge Farm, Aldington, Kent

Court Lodge was originally a manor house and hunting lodge belonging to the Archbishops of Canterbury. The farmhouse still contains parts of the original buildings.

The barn belongs to a much later period and replaced an earlier derelict barn. It is a five bay barn with a hipped roof and ragstone walls with brick coins to the corners and ventilation slits. The date stone over the central entrance reads ‘1836’.

Inside it has a four timber trusses, each consisting of a tie beam with a central king post and a pair of queen posts. Raked struts run from near the base of the king post to the top of the queen posts which also have raked struts supporting the upper purlins. The king and queen posts are secured to the tie-beam with iron bolts rather than the pegged mortise and tenon joints of earlier barns.