Home Flipbooks Index of Barns Barns by Region Barns by Type Museums The Barn Story Books about barns
web counter

The Cruck Barn at Arley Hall was built in 1471.  It has seven bays divided up by pairs of crucks forming an A frame.  The lower part of the wall has brick infill in a herringbone pattern. The top level is open. The crucks have tie beams right across rather than just stubs tying them to the wall posts as at Arborfield barn.

It was converted into a riding school in the nineteenth century. The midstrey of the barn now forms the gateway to the Courtyard and Hall. The barn is used for occasional events but otherwise is open to visitors to the Hall.

Arley Hall Cruck Barn