Home Flipbooks Index of Barns Barns by Region Barns by Type Museums The Barn Story Books about barns
web counter

Stryd-Lydan Barn at St. Fagans

This barn came from Penley in Maelor Saesnag in the eastern part of what is now Clwyd. It was originally locateed at Stryd Lydan on the Gredington estate of Lord Kenyon. It was donated to the national Museum of Wales in 1949.

The barn is made up of two structures with a midstrey between. The cruck framed half is on the left as seen in the photograph below. It has a stone gable which replaced a cruck framed gable. There are three surviving sets of crucks creating three bays. The crucks are 5.8 metres tall, tapered to the base and tenoned into a timber wall sill.