Home Flipbooks Index of Barns Barns by Region Barns by Type Museums The Barn Story Books about barns
web counter

Faversham Abbey Major Barn

The two barns are the only surviving buildings from Faversham Abbey. They probably survived as they were part of the abbey farm and would have continued in agricultural use long after the dissolution of the abbey. The other buildings would have been  sold off as valuable building material in an area with little useful native stone.

The Major Barn is the later of the two barns dating from 1476. It is a timber-framed, aisled barn with a hipped, clay tile roof.  A large granary has been inserted at the north end. It has two midstreys, one with a wagon porch.

The barns are now used as joinery workshops and the granary is used as offices. Apart from some steel bracing, the barn is little altered. The machinery and wiring are independent of the barn’s structure.