Chisbury Chapel
Home Introduction Barns A-Z Barns by Region Barns by Type Places 2 Visit HFBG Useful Websites Books about barns
www.hitwebcounter.com
This Website Visits

Chisbury Chapel

This building was originally built by the Lord of the Manor as a “chapel of ease” for himself and his tenants. It ceased to be a chapel after 1547, and for 300 years was used as a barn.

The manor house site stands inside an iron age enclosure known as Chisbury Rings. The chapel is now owned by English Heritage. Standing in the farmyard, it is open to the public at any reasonable time.

Other examples of churches or chapels converted to barns include: St. James Chapel in Suffolk Duxford Chapel and St. Peters-on-the-Wall in Essex and Isleworth Priory in Cambridgeshire.