St. Peters-on-the-Wall
Home Introduction Barns A-Z Barns by Region Barns by Type Places 2 Visit HFBG Useful Websites Books about barns
www.hitwebcounter.com
This Website Visits

St. Peters-on-the-Wall,
Bradwell-on-Sea, Essex

According to tradition, St Peters-on-the-Wall was built by St. Cedd when he came to convert the Saxons in 654 AD. The current structure was probably built around 660 AD and incorporates stone and tiles from the Roman Fort that stood on the site. It remained a place of worship for nearly 900 years.

After the dissolution of the monasteries it fell out of use. It was subsequently converted into a barn. The scars of the large doorways that were cut into the long sides are still visible. In 1920 the building was restored and it was reconsecrated as a chapel. It is grade 1 listed and open to the public.

Chapel