Home Introduction Barns A-Z Barns by Region Barns by Type Wedding Barns Meet & Eat Museums Books about barns 3D Models Barn Map

Ely Monastic Barn

There used to be two Great Barns in Ely. The Sextry Barn was  219 ft. 6 in. long by 39 ft. 5 in. wide internally. It was a stone, aisled barn with two midstreys and porches on the north side. It dated from the middle of the thirteenth century, and was demolished in 1842.

The barn and storehouse of the Monastery was built circa 1575. It stands to the south of Ely Porta, which was built towards the end of the sixteenth century. It has 7 bays. The eastern part, of 5 bays, was used as a granary and the western part as a storehouse. It is now the refectory and offices for the King’s School